Wednesday 27 July 2011

Sound Librarian

I recently stumbled across this website after seeing Stephan Schultz give a lecture on Why Sound Matters on YouTube [click here to view his lecture in 5 parts]. In it he mentions his project "Sound Librarian" a great, free sound library for schools and amateurs. Below is the text from their Home page. Please check it out, it is an amazing body of work, a great resource and the result of a passion for helping students to learn how to utilise sound.
Welcome to Sound Library a free online audio resource centre with over 17,000 high resolution sound effects. Sound library also includes tutorials, equipment reviews and a blog that spans five years and three continents.

My goal is to create a large online audio resource centre that is beneficial to all users from students and amateur users to casual professional users and large studios with a regular need for high quality material. By offering the entire library free in its download format as well as offering DVD sets for purchase I can provide a high quality resource for students and casual users to access free, while professionals gain instant access to the complete library for well below the average cost of high quality professional sounds.
Picture
There are two main motivations for creating Sound Library in this way,

Firstly I am tired of living in a world where people produce poor quality goods and services and still charge top dollar for them. I am proud of the work I do and I will stand by its quality. I will always make all the content I record available at its highest quality free to download. It is completely impossible to protect digital data from piracy anyway so rather than waste time and effort trying to prevent the unpreventable I would rather spend my time creating useful assets that people can use. If someone wants to access digital data without paying for it they will, if however they feel they are getting good service and a good quality product I believe most people will appreciate the value of that service.

The second reason for Sound Library is to create the kind of resource that didn’t exist when I was studying. I want to create a large, useful, high res sound library for students, teachers or anyone interested in audio design.
The site will continue to grow regularly with more sounds (at least 100 a week), new tutorials, gear reviews, journal entries as well as exhibits, video journals and projects logs. I would like to create a community around the site that can be a useful educational resource for audio for film, TV, radio, games and media production.
Picture
This is what I do, and this is what I love doing. Sound and music recording, design and creation are my passion and if you are not doing something you are passionate about then you may be wasting your life. I have created Sound Library to give people the tools and some of the knowledge to help them create their own audio material. Sound Library is available for everyone, both amateur and professional to access and use in project production.

No comments:

Post a Comment